Thursday, September 28, 2017

Gr@y & Blue Fall Road Trip 17

Tonight I am staying far less than my original goal for the night. After catching the Ferry from South Baymouth on Manitoulin Island in Lake Huron, I have arrived here at Bruce Peninsula National Park and am camped along the shore of Cyprus Lake. It is a well situated site undercover of the trees which at current are host to a recently arrived flock of Common Grackle which make a rather eerie sound. With a beautiful sunset cleansing my mind and being tired after last night I believe I will have a good nights rest.
I awoke last night at 1:00 am to a sound that at first with my one uncovered ear I thought was a couple above although a rather strange pattern to it. After this carried on for a rather prolonged time and now with both my ears I realized that there was a rather heavy footed child and a dog racing from one end of the suite above to the other and then back again. At about the 25 minute mark with no end to this activity in site I decided to move back out to the trailer. I was so incensed by this I could not sleep in the trailer and moved back to the room but because of this I could not get back to sleep until about 5:30 am. Instead of getting up at 6:30 as I had planned for the long days drive I tried to sleep a little longer and left the motel at 9:30. The ferry I was to catch only sailed twice a day and I was going to miss the first sailing that was before noon and have to wait until the 3:50 ferry.
There was no sign of the motel owner or staff when I left so I phoned him to complain that it made no sense to me to place a late arrival directly above another guest when the motel was almost empty and there were at least 39 other rooms to place them in. What was he thinking, I asked. He admitted knew how much the sound traveled between floors. He offered me $10 off the next time I stayed. I laughed at him and told him that he had upsold me $10 when I arrived. This phone call was going nowhere fast.
The wait for the ferry and the 2 hour sailing was nice and restful although I did not nap. I was too busy looking around...and keeping my eye on the horizon too because the swells were similar to those experienced during a fall crossing of the Strait on the way to the mainland except double the time in exposed waters. This was a low wildlife observation day.

No comments :

Post a Comment