I arrived at Frenchman Valley Campground in Grasslands National Park, West Block at 7:30 pm - sundown was at 7:24 pm so I had about a half hour to get settled before dark .The site was open plains style where it was very easy to see every rig and tent in the area. Surprising to me the signage said that if you had no reservation you had to go into the overflow campsite which was proximal to the rest of the site and was closer in some ways to the very comfortable shelter with free wifi and electricity. Although my site had no power, probably had better wifi than the rest of the site at about half the rate because of their reservation/self registration system.
It was a cold windy rainy morning so I was less inclined to get going and left camp at noon. When I was in Lethbridge, Jonathan, had told me that although he loved the Grasslands area, finding regular gas that wasn't at a cardlock was an issue - southern Saskatchewan was diesel country. Armed with my GasBuddy app I was determined as I explored the Cypress Hills area to not get stuck without gas. I filled up in Shaunavon but also confirmed for GasBuddy that the Co-op in Bracken had regular gas about 67 km from Frenchman Valley.
Wildlife was around in the form of Pronghorn (above top), Mule Deer, Turkey Vultures (above middle), Western Meadowlark (above bottom), Northern Shovelers, Ferengous Hawk (below), and once in Grasslands many Sharp-tailed Grouse. The light quality was poor by the time I saw the Grouse.

No comments :
Post a Comment